Inventory management and asset visibility
Sempra Energy is a Fortune 500 company based in San Diego, California. Sempra wanted to optimize its supply chain and improve operational visibility at 11 warehouses. The challenges they faced included:
- Low inventory accuracy
- Inefficient paper-based stock taking processes
- No real-time visibility of gas meters in the supply chain
- Revenue losses due to lost meters
Shipcom delivered a solution tailored to Sempra’s needs, which seamlessly integrated with Sempra’s SAP ERP system. One central enterprise server hosted 11 warehouse edge servers located across California. The Shipcom RFID solution tracked gas meters’ supply chain, from each process gate up to the consumer’s door step.
- Increased inventory accuracy
- Real-time data availability, allowing better decision making
- Elimination of lost gas meters and consequent loss of revenues
- Full visibility of gas meters across the supply chain
Warehouse management system (WMS) and asset visibility
Launched as a joint venture between Saudi Aramco and Japan’s Sumitomo Chemical, the $10 billion Petro Rabigh plant is the largest integrated oil refinery and petrochemical production facility ever built at one time. The plant needed a solution to address inefficient product movement in the warehouse and disparate data connectivity between the back-end and warehouse floor.
Shipcom delivered an integrated solution using Shipcom Wireless Application and Backend with 66 forklift-mounted mobile readers and vehicle-mounted computers and handhelds. RFID tags were placed on the floor and on pallets. Real-time instructions where passed onto forklift drivers.
- Enhanced workability
- Accuracy of material movement throughout large warehouse floor
- Better inventory stocking
- Improved usage cycles
Warehouse management system (WMS); rig inventory and asset visibility
Ensco is a premiere global offshore oil and gas drilling contractor providing services which are essential to oil companies on their worldwide exploration and development effort. They required a solution to help them address the following problems:
- Upgrade to automated inventory processes
- Management of inventory and spare parts on rigs
- Asset visibility
- Track preventative maintenance on spares
In 2007, Shipcom won the project and delivered a CATAMARAN®-based solution that allows ENSCO to extend their PeopleSoft ERP into the warehouse and to dozens of offshore rigs. The system provides mobility, barcode / RFID capabilities and asset-tracking for all inventory and assets, onshore and offshore.
- Increased efficiency of key inventory processes
- Reduced errors by using barcode readers
- Improved visibility of key assets
- Improved visibility of entire inventory lifecycle